Digestive Care Center is seeking a Medical Coder who is self-motivated, efficient, enjoys a fast-paced work environment and desires to be part of a successful team, to work in our Billing Department.
Summary of Duties
The Medical Coder assigns CPT procedure codes and ICD-10 diagnosis codes to medical services performed by physicians in the office, hospital and in the Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Center (GEC) in order to achieve accurate and timely reimbursement from insurance carriers.
- On a daily basis, collects Daily Hospital Round information from physicians to be used in determining procedures performed by each physician at the hospital. Review and code GEC procedure packets; including charge entry.
- Consults with physicians to resolve any questions about the hospital services, GEC procedures and/or services/procedures being coded.
- Assigns and enters procedural and diagnostic codes for hospital charges in the practice management system.
- Oversees patient account collections including collecting on past due accounts, setting up payment financing, prepayment arrangements and financial counseling.
- Works in conjunction with Schedulers to obtain information about procedures needed for the Benefit Verification process.
- Contacts Insurance Companies to verify patient insurance benefits and eligibility.
- Assists in other department functions (i.e. patient data entry and set-up, payment posting, mail, benefit verification, bank deposit, daily close…) as needed.
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with physicians, medical staff, co-workers and third party payors.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills and attention to detail.
- Able to multi-task and prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and medical practice software a plus.
- Coding experience in digestive care is preferred
Job Eligibility Requirements:
- CPC Certification preferred
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Medical office experience preferred
Digestive Care Center offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes company paid Medical, Vision, Life and Long Term disability insurance; partially funded Health Savings Account & 401 K; Dental, Short Term Disability, paid vacation & holidays.