Every patient we see has different nutritional needs — requiring different treatment plans to get their symptoms under control. Digestive Care Center has an in-house Registered, Certified Dietitian (RD, CD) to help translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living. Our dietitian uses evidence-based nutrition to improve health and fight disease in our patients, helping them:
- Achieve a healthy weight
- Decrease sodium and unhealthy fats in their diets
- Identify foods that trigger gastrointestinal symptoms and suggest alternatives
- Identify gluten containing or other allergen/intolerance foods and alternatives
- Increase the intake of nutrients, such as fiber or calcium
- Make dietary changes to help improve various diseases and health conditions
- Manage various gastrointestinal symptoms, such as acid reflux and constipation
- Plan delicious healthy meals to fit all lifestyles
- Read, understand, and utilize nutrition facts labels
What disorders and diseases can nutrition therapy help with?
So many! Here are a few of the diseases we specialize in treating through our nutrition therapy program:
- Celiac disease or gluten sensitivity
- Food allergies and food intolerances(lactose, gluten)
- Gallbladder conditions
- GERD and heartburn
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Weight management
- And others
What happens during individual nutrition counseling?
For your first appointment, you can expect to meet with the dietitian for about an hour — and follow-up sessions typically last from 30-45 minutes. Medical nutrition therapy at Digestive Care Center includes a thorough review of your health history, current diet and eating habits, development of a personalized nutrition plan, nutrition education and much more.
Where do I sign up?
No need for a referral! To make an appointment or for more information, call Digestive Care Center at 812.477.6103. If you do have a referral from your physician, you can schedule the appointment immediately following that doctor visit at checkout or over the phone.
What is my financial responsibility
Your initial 1 hour appointment is free. Discounts and special offers are available for follow up sessions. Discuss these options with the dietitian at your initial appointment. You can also check with your insurance to see if they will cover follow up appointments. See the information below.
Will insurance pay for individual nutrition counseling?
Approximately 30 % of insurance companies will reimburse for Medical Nutrition Therapy. Typically, insurance companies cover nutrition services for diabetes and renal disease. Some are now covering services for weight management and digestive conditions. We strongly recommend you contact your insurance company prior to your follow up appointment to determine if the dietitian services are covered. The Procedure Code information may be needed.
- 97802: Medical Nutrition Therapy, initial appointment
- 97803: Medical Nutrition Therapy, follow-up appointment