Black Bean Soup
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 cans 15.5 ounce low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed in cold water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 Spanish onion
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 2 celery sticks (diced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 cube low sodium chicken bouillon
- 8 cups water
- Plain low-fat water (optional, for topping)
- Mix beans, olive oil, garlic, carrots, onion, celery, basil, chili powder, and oregano. Mix well.
- Add water and top with a bouillon cube. Turn the heat down to low and cook about 2 ½ hours, until the beans are very tender and the mixture is uniform in color.
- Just before serving, squeeze the juice of ¼ lime on each serving and a tablespoon of yogurt.
- Serve right away or cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.