Chickpea Couscous Salad
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onion, diced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. each: cumin, coriander, allspice, paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 3 cups canned chickpeas, low sodium
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup couscous
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions and kale, cook 10 minutes until starting to brown. Stir in garlic, spices, tomatoes, chickpeas, and water. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions. Top chickpea mixture over 1⁄2 cup couscous and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Vegetarian Times. Photo from thislittlepiggywenttothefarmersmarket.com
- Throw chickpeas on a salad for a good protein source.
- Blend chickpeas with lemon juice and spices to make homemade hummus.
- Roasted chickpeas make a filling, nutritious snack.
- Substitute chickpeas for ground meat in Italian pasta dishes.