5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables
- Rich in vitamins, minerals & fiber. Eating plenty each day can reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease and stroke and help you achieve a healthy weight. Eat a variety of colors, especially dark green, red, and orange. Enjoy them raw, steamed, roasted, grilled, or sautéed.
4 (8oz.) glasses of water
- Drink plenty of water each day to keep you healthy and hydrated. Water regulates body temperature, carries nutrients, removes waste, and cushions joints, organs, and tissues. Pick a favorite water bottle to keep with you during the day and on the go. Squeeze a lemon or orange in your water for a citrus kick!
3 good laughs
- Laughing promotes the release of endorphins to your brain, helping you feel better and have a positive attitude. There is no limit to laughing, 3 may be a good place to start.
2 hours or less of screen time
- Spend 2 hours or less each day in front of the TV or on a computer. Be physically active instead!
1 hour of physical exercise
- Move your body with physical activity 1 hour each day – walk bike, swim, dance, run… Pick activities that you enjoy and that fit your lifestyle. You can break it up into 15 minute increments throughout the day.
+8 hours of sleep
- Re-energize your body with 8 hours or more of sleep. This amount influences your performance, mood, and health.
If you can checkmark the above 54321+8 tips each day, you are on the path for a healthy enjoyable future! If there are one or a few areas that you are not achieving on a daily basis, I encourage you to think about all the things that keep you from achieving them, brainstorm as many solutions as possible, and then implement those solutions.
Get your friends, family, and co-workers to do this with you! You can keep each other accountable, encourage each other, brainstorm solutions, and enjoy life together.