A gastroparesis meal is one that is small (1 to 1 ½ cups of food), almost like a snack, and is low in fat and fiber. It is easy to rely too much on nutrient poor foods such as white breads, pastas, crackers, chips, and sweets when fiber is lowered. Below are convenient nutritious mini meal ideas and simple recipes appropriate for those with mild to moderate gastroparesis .
Banana Protein Smoothie
- Blend ½ of a frozen banana, ½ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk and 1 Tbsp. protein powder or PB2. Enjoy!
- Suggested recipe: http://blog.katescarlata.com/2015/11/27/snickerdoodle-smoothie/ (makes 2 servings)
Fruit and Yogurt Parfait
- Top ½ cup plain or vanilla Greek yogurt with ½ cup canned fruit in its own juice, drained and ¼ cup cheerios.
- Enjoy baked egg muffins filled with cooked spinach and low fat shredded cheese. Make a batch to store in the fridge for breakfast or snacks throughout the week.
- Suggested recipe: https://dccevv.com/nutrition/recipes/baked-omelet-muffins/
- Fill a 6in. tortilla with a scrambled egg or 2 egg whites and 1 Tbsp. shredded low fat cheese and 1 Tbsp. mild salsa.
- Top a small baked potato (don’t eat the skin) with 1 Tbsp. chives, 2 Tbsp. chopped tomatoes, 2 Tbsp. reduced fat shredded cheese and 2 Tbsp. nonfat plain Greek yogurt.
Cottage Cheese Cup
- Enjoy ¾ cup low fat cottage cheese with ½ cup fruit canned in its own juice or soft melons or sliced tomato.
- Mix 1 can or packet of light tuna in water with a light salad dressing or light mayo and mustard. Enjoy wrapped in lettuce cups or on low fiber enriched bread.
Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup
- Enjoy a cup of low sodium chicken, noodle, and vegetable soup (small pieces of chopped carrots, green beans, and celery ok) with low fiber crackers.
- Top ½ cup cooked white rice with ½ cup cooked and chopped moist chicken breast, ½ cup cooked shredded carrots and zucchini, and a drizzle of teriyaki sauce.
Sweet Potato Turkey Burger
- Enjoy a small grilled lean burger with a side of roasted zucchini (skin peeled).
- Suggested recipe: https://dashingdish.com/recipe/sweet-potato-turkey-burgers-2/
Shredded Pork Tenderloin Tacos
- Enjoy soft corn tortillas topped with flavorful shredded lean pork, diced tomatoes, and a sprinkle of cheese.
- Suggested recipe: http://momtomomnutrition.com/food-and-recipes/pulled-pork-tacos/
Fish and Veggie Foil Packets
- Enjoy flaky white fish and tender vegetables cooked together in a single serve packet.
- Suggested recipe: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/grilled-fish-vegetable-packets-144645.aspx