Eat a Protein Rich Breakfast: Benefits and Recipes
- Studies show high-quality protein can improve satiety, help manage weight, and prevent chronic disease.
- Eating breakfast can help stabilize hunger for the entire day, especially if it includes protein.
- Protein reduces ghrelin (hormone that tells us we are hungry) levels best and generally increases leptin activity (hormone that decreases food intake and regulates energy metabolism).
- Some of the best ghrelin suppressing foods are: skinless poultry, lean beef, fish, eggs, and fat-free Greek yogurt.
- There is no need to overload on protein at breakfast. Stick with one to three ounce equivalents. 1 ounce of each food is: 1 ounce cooked lean meat, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon peanut or almond butter, 1/8 cup nuts, 6 ounces Greek yogurt, ¼ cup low fat cottage cheese, or 8 ounces low fat milk.
Ideas & Recipes
If you like cottage cheese try:
If you like Greek yogurt or kefir try:
If you like eggs try:
If you like peanut or almond butter try: