Salad in a mason jar is a convenient fun way to pack a salad for lunch! It pours out perfectly into a bowl when you are ready to enjoy. Use the tips below to layer your salad for the best results.
- Layer 1: In the bottom of your mason jar, pour 2 Tbsp. light salad dressing.
- Layer 2: Next, add the ingredients that can absorb the salad dressing and won’t wilt or get soggy from it.
- Layer 3: Then, layer the rest of the toppings.
- Layer 4: Fill the top of jar with the salad greens. That way your salad greens will stay fresh and when you pour it in your bowl all your toppings will be on TOP!
The salad recipes below are great for you GI health because they are high in fiber to help keep you regular, high in phytochemicals to help reduce inflammation, and most are or can be modified to fit special diets such as low FODMAP or gluten free.
- Layer 1: 2 Tbsp. chile lime salad dressing
- Layer 2: 1/3 cup cooked brown rice, 1/3 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- Layer 3: ¼ cup chopped tomatoes, 2 Tbsp. chopped red onion, ¼ cup chopped yellow bell pepper, 2 Tbsp. shredded cheddar cheese
- Layer 4: 1 ½ cup chopped romaine
Chile lime salad dressing:
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil + 1 tsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Nutrition per jar: Calories: 320, Fat: 15gm, Carbs: 36gm, Protein: 11gm, Fiber: 7gm
- Layer 1: 2 Tbsp. light raspberry walnut vinaigrette dressing
- Layer 2: 2 Tbsp. dried cherries, 1/3 cup blueberries
- Layer 3: 2 Tbsp. walnuts, 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- Layer 4: 2 cups kale and spinach blend
Nutrition per jar: Calories: 320, Fat: 18gm, Carbs: 32gm, Protein: 10gm, Fiber: 9gm
- Layer 1: 2 Tbsp. light Asian sesame dressing
- Layer 2: 1/3 cup cooked brown rice noodles, 1/3 cup toasted edamame
- Layer 3: ¼ cup shredded carrots, 2 Tbsp. chopped scallions, 2 Tbsp. chopped water chestnuts
- Layer 4: 1 cup shredded cabbage blend
Nutrition per jar: Calories: 270, Fat: 10gm, Carbs: 37gm, Protein: 9gm, Fiber: 7gm
- Layer 1: 2 Tbsp. light Mediterranean vinaigrette
- Layer 2: 1/2 cup cooked quinoa or farro, 2oz. chicken breast (or salmon or 1/3 cup garbanzo beans)
- Layer 3: ¼ cup chopped tomato, ¼ cup chopped cucumber, 2 Tbsp. scallions, 2 Tbsp. feta cheese
- Layer 4: 1 ½ cup fresh spinach
Nutrition per jar: Calories: 290, Fat: 9gm, Carbs: 30gm, Protein: 20gm, Fiber: 5gm